Monday, January 11, 2010

Joy Chronicles

The past few days have brought me immense joy.

In no particular order......

1. Songwriting with an old friend. It is amazing to hear my music take shape and become a reality. Realizing I finally understand the words I wrote 10 years ago. Hearing contours of my voice and lyrics and the guitar. The feeling I have today is somewhat freeing.

2. Pulling the sheet from my blankets at night time and seeing electricity storms in the dark. Little moonbeams of light dancing at midnight.

3. The cook in the Greek restaurant off the Bryn Mawr stop who always knocks on the window whenever he sees me and waves :)

4. Two men who thought I was only 24 years old today.

5.  The singers at the redline stop who asked me to dance and come on the road with them.

6.  Sweet daisies in the green vase on my window sill.

7. Running into my friend on the train and making funny sign language to him from across the car, only to have the man in front of my friend think I was signing to him and watching him be extraordinarily confused. Priceless.

8. Seeing Ryan Kazsprzak walk into theWit today for his first cast meeting of Billy Elliot and us recognizing each other as I worked at the front desk and he came through the door. He played my son in a high school play of Our Town and now he is a famous dancer.

9. The fact that a portion of a melody running through my head finally took shape today as I was walking down the street, much like songs used to take shape for me years ago.

10. Just knowing that my character, Midge, in my upcoming show gets to wear 'action shorts' and carry a gun in a thigh holster gives me immense happiness. The ridiculousness of this show is delightful.

11. Listening to people try to pronounce the name of the restaurant, Cibo Matto, on the 2nd floor of the building where I work. I love it when people know they are saying it incorrectly but say it anyway and I love the people who believe they are saying it correctly and are actually pronouncing it completely wrong.

 *

I like to see signs in graffiti. I have for awhile now. This wasn't really graffiti, because it was really just the CTA marking their construction. But in the same place where I had received other signs in the past few months such as 'DONE,' for which I had contempt, and 'START,' in which I took refuge, today I saw the simple word 'GOOD.'

Indeed. And simply. And yes.

There is goodness and joy in the simplest of things.


K.xxxx

1 comment: